The SA Blog Awards
has progressed to become a significant event in the online calendar year. The packed out venue last night attests to this, as does the fact that finalists and interested parties flew in from around the country to be there.
The event has sufficiently informal as one expects from this community and there was more than enough time before and after the 'ceremony' to mingle with fellow bloggers, media and those that had an interest in the web.
When the ceremony began promptly at 7:30, the finalists were surprised to hear that besides being able to sport the 'SA Blog Awards 2008' graphic on their page for a year, there were actual physical prizes they could take home with them. There was wine from Warwick Estate
, an indigenous tree from Stodels
sponsored some categories with a flat screen monitor and Microsoft
gave away a Xbox360 to the overall winner. And suddenly things became just a wee little more intense!
Without a doubt the big winners were Durban's East Coast Radio
who, along with the other big winner Mail and Guardian
have embraced the blogging medium and it seems to paying dividends, not only at the SA Blog Awards, but by increasing their reach into South African society. While 'mainstream media' made a huge impression at this years awards, there was still more than enough space for the smaller guys to pick up awards. In fact, having the big boys doing so well made the victories of the others that much sweeter and it was great to see the excitement and genuine pride these winners exuded for the rest of the evening.
While there was the odd good natured murmuring about the mainstream onslaught this year, there was none of the vitriol that seemed to emanate after last year's awards.
All in all, it was a great evening. Well done to the winners, and to those who missed out, it's time to up the ante!
And the winners are ...
South African Weblog of the YearThe Best of the Best from South Africa
Most Humorous South African BlogWitty, comical and written to induce uncontrollable laughter
Best Overseas South African BlogBest blog written by a South African in any foreign country
Best SA Blog about PoliticsThe best SA blog featuring mainly a political theme
Best New BlogBest blog which was started during the year of 2007
Recap of my prediction :
- Not knowing too much about most of these finalists before this review, it's difficult to guage which of these blogs have the readership most likely to take the time to vote. My guess is the fact the ECR has bothered to publicise the fact that they are in the finals means that they will take this one. Honestly, I hope I am wrong though.
- Eish's pick : vanielje.com/blog
Best SA Blog about Technology / Computers / Web DevelopmentBest South African technology focused weblog
Recap of my prediction :
- This is an extremely tough one to call, as while there are many finalists that have impressive readership figures, these readers do not necessarily have any stake in the SA blogosphere and will therefore not feel obliged to spend the couple of minutes required to cast a vote. Nudjit.com is going to take some beating next year, but I am going to suggest that BandwidthBlog will take the crown this year.
- Eish's pick : Noboxmedia.com
Best SA Blog about DesignBest overall design and layout of a weblog page
Best SA Business BlogBest blog about business
Best Website Promoting BloggingBest South African blog content promotion service or blogging platform
Best Green blogWeblog covering mainly environmental, organic or enviro-friendly related content
Best Undiscovered BlogDue to these blogs being 'undiscovered' with limited readership, last year's winners will make a selection from the unknown blogs nominated for this category. The selected top ten with then go through to the final voting stage as per normal.
Best SA Entertainment BlogWeblogs about movies, television, celebrities, theatre and topical issues with entertainment value
Recap of my prediction.
- I suspect that chump-style, 2oceansvibe and imod are going to engage their readers and get a fair whack of votes, however the ECR Breakfast blog was very quick to marshal it's troops and has an obvious advantage over the others. I pick the ECR Breakfast blog to take this category.
- Eish's pick : themuso.co.za
Best Post on a South African BlogThe one post which stood out in 2007
Best Original Writing on a South African BlogComposition, attention to detail, advanced levels of subject investigation
Best SA Photographic BlogThe best SA blog featuring original photographic content
Best SA Blog about Food and WineThe best blog written primarily about food or drink
Best SA Music BlogBest weblog about news of a musical nature
Best SA PodcastBest independently produced video or audio podcast in SA
Best Group BlogBest blog with more than one contributor
Best Sports BlogA weblog written exclusively about any recognised sport
Recap of my Prediction :
- I have been unable to find any evidence of Keo.co.za mobilising it's readers to vote, otherwise I would say this category is theirs for the taking. The same goes with rugbydump.com, but I think they have fresh new appreciative readership that may just mobilise itself and pull them to the top.
- Eish's pick : AfricanSurfer.com
Best Travel BlogThe best South African blog featuring travel related content.
Best South African Personal BlogCovers diary type blogs of a personal lifestory nature
Labels: review, sa blog awards, sablog awards